Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Follow GWU's trip to Mississippi State here ...

When the Gardner-Webb football schedule was released, the Mississippi State game was the one that jumped out the most.
I’ve always been a fan of Southeastern Conference football and the simple fact the Runnin’ Bulldogs were making a trip to the old institution in Starkville, Miss., was intriguing.
Following Appalachian State’s recent ballyhooed upset over Michigan, the matchup between GWU and MSU gained even more luster. Anything can happen now, right?
Late last week I found out that IF an upset does happen in the heart of SEC country this weekend — or even if it doesn’t — I will be there for The Star.
Other than the nervousness about flying (I haven’t been in a plane in six years), I’m ecstatic about making the trip. I hear Starkville has a great football environment with loud, cowbell ringing fans. I can’t wait to take all of that in. I’ve seen and covered games in plenty of big ACC football and basketball venues but like Gardner-Webb, this will be my first trip to an SEC football stadium.
It will be interesting to see how Steve Patton’s Bulldogs match up with Sylvester Croom’s squad with the same nickname, fresh off an upset win at Auburn. Win or lose, it’s safe to say this will be an experience GWU’s players and staff will always remember.
On top of covering the game Saturday at historic Davis Wade Stadium, I’ll be posting on my blog on Friday and Saturday leading up to the 7 p.m. (EST) kickoff. If there’s anything specific you would like to know about from the trip, feel free to comment on my blog or send me an e-mail.
Here’s the itinerary …
Friday
11:30 a.m.: Load buses at GWU for airport in Charlotte
2 p.m.: Flight leaves Charlotte for Columbus, Miss.
2:45 p.m.: Lose an hour on flight and land in Columbus-Golden Triangle, MS
4 p.m.: Arrive at Holiday Inn
4:30 p.m.-until: GWU will hold team meetings and have dinner at Ryan’s
Saturday
10:30 a.m.: GWU starts walk-throughs and watches tape of MSU
2 p.m.: Pre-game meal in hotel
3 p.m.: Leave for Davis Wade Stadium
4:40 p.m.: Pre-game workouts begin
6 p.m. CST, 7 p.m. EST: Kickoff
9:35 p.m.: Post-game meal and head to GTR airport
11 p.m.: Plane departs for Charlotte

7 Comments:

Blogger Randy Capps said...

You're lucky. Have fun out there...

September 18, 2007 at 8:42 PM  
Blogger Ron Schaeffer said...

I am envious Gabe, wish I was going to Starkville too. I am a life-long MState fan. I attended MSU in the mid 80's and have been going to ball games since the early 70's. Not as many lately since I now live in Shelby. I do hope to go to Columbia the next weekend when MSU plays South Carolina.

Since it is a non-conference game, there are likely to be more cowbells than usual. They have been banned on a least 3 different occasions. The SEC teams hold them to it more strictly. When I was a student, they were banned, but we took them anyway and if security tried to take them we just passed them down the line.

Gabe, you will win the heart and affection of the Maroon Dawgs if you refer to Davis Wade Stadium as Scott Field as it has been known for over 91 years. It is the 2nd oldest Div-IA stadium in the country.

September 19, 2007 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger Gabe Whisnant said...

Thanks! I'll have to remember that about Scott Field, and I hear those cowbells get quite loud ...

Be sure to follow the blog this weekend. The comments are always appreciated.

September 20, 2007 at 8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve Patton is a joke

September 21, 2007 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger Robertagsr said...

just wanted to say welcome to Mississippi (pronounced Miss eye sip eye) hope y'all have a wonderful time in my home state.

September 21, 2007 at 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where's Campbell??????????

September 22, 2007 at 8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gabe, I have enjoyed reading your comments about our dear little town of Starkville. You should be very, very proud of Garner Webb. Not only did your team play one on one with a team from America's toughest conference but your fans were courtious and were really good sportsmen. I had some interesting conversations with some of them. You, at Garner Webb, have gained the respect and the backing of your counterpart Bulldogs in Mississippi. You are always welcomed down here. Thank you for a great game.

September 23, 2007 at 6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home