Saturday, May 31, 2008

Congrats to the Mount Olive Trojans

Mount Olive College, located in eastern North Carolina in southern Wayne County, captured its first ever national championship in any sport on Saturday afternoon. The Trojans' baseball team, directed by 32-year head coach Carl Lancaster, defeated Oachita Baptist (Ark.), 6-2, at Sauget, Ill. to claim the ultimate prize.

Before I moved back to Shelby, I worked for the Goldsboro News-Argus and had the pleasure of covering my fair share of Mount Olive games. I was also at the Trojans' Scarborough Field a lot in the summer as the Wayne County Post 11 American Legion squad played their home games at that venue.

With almost 700 wins, Lancaster is one of the best in the business and was always great to work with. I have to admit, it was awesome turning on the TV today and recognizing the familiar faces of players I covered in high school and at MOC like Erik Lovett, Jesse Lancaster and Airlon Vinson.

Great job Trojans ... live it up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home