Saturday, July 21, 2007

More quotes from Norris Hopper feature

Here are a few more quotes that weren't used in Sunday's feature on Cincinnati Reds' outfielder and Shelby native Norris Hopper.

Reds’ outfielder Norris Hopper
On recent increase in playing time …
“The last few weeks I’ve played a little more due to injuries. I’m trying to get in the cage and do what I can do to stay sharp. When I’m called upon, I try to do my job.”

On whether or not it’s frustrating not starting and playing every game …
“It’s not really frustrating … everybody wants to play every day, but this is my job. You look around here, and we’ve got Griffey and Dunn. They’ve got to play. They are making the big bucks.”

On what Shelby means to him …
“Coming up through high school, I always had people backing me up in Shelby. I love Shelby. I have a house there, and I don’t think I’ll ever move. It’s a little town, but it’s great to me.”

On his first trip with the Reds to Atlanta …
“It’s great to be out there and look up in the stands and see people you grew up with. They all have smiles on their face and it’s very fulfilling.”

On being inserted into games late …
“Almost every game I’m coming in late. You just come in and try to make plays to help us win. When I go out there and we have a two run lead (like Tuesday against the Braves), you just tell yourself you’ve got to make a big play if they hit it my way.”

On the Reds’ recent improvements …
“We won five of six going into the break and that got our spirits up. Then, we dropped 3 in New York, then come to Atlanta and we won the series here. We just need to keep up what we’ve done the last three days (against Atlanta).

Reds’ right fielder Ken Griffey Jr.
On Hopper’s value to the team …
“He goes out and you can ask him to play anywhere and do anything you ask. His game is to get on base, cause havoc and use his legs. He’s done a great job of that. He can do a lot of things for us.”

Cincinnati manager Pete Mackanin
On Norris Hopper’s versatility …
“Norris is a real versatile guy. He’s a good defender in the outfield, he can run … he covers a lot of ground and makes throws that he needs to make. He’s a solid hitter with good doubles power and an ouststandnig bunter that can handle the bat.”

On Hopper’s ability to learn from Ken Griffey Jr. …
“Hopefully he can learn from a Ken Griffey Jr., but he has to understand that Griffey is going to handle himself differently than a rookie. Griffey, because of his status, his age and experience, after he takes batting practice, he’ll go in and get his rest. A young player like Norris shouldn’t do that. He can learn from him, but he has to make sure he doesn’t act the part of a superstar.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home