Sunday, June 3, 2007

"Search the dial and electrify ..."

My recent trips to The Triangle to cover Shelby soccer and KM softball not only gave me a chance to see some very competitive high school sports, but I also got to flip up and down the radio "dial" and hear a lot of good tunes during the drives.
Given that I've lived in Shelby, Wilmington and Goldsboro and have driven quite a bit for work at all three locations, I've heard the best (and worst) this state has to offer in "terrestrial" radio. Around Burlington Sunday, I started thinking about my favorite stations across the state.

Some of my favs are now defunct or have changed formats dramatically, but here's my Top 10 modern list ... Note this doesn't include any sports or news talk (maybe another list for another day). Feel free to chime in with some of your favorites.

10. 103.7 WSOC, Charlotte - I'm not a huge fan of modern "pop country," but I do like the classics. From what I've heard, 103.7 mixes in Waylon, Willie and Johnny with their Chesney, Paisley and Evans.
9. 106.7 The Penguin, Wilmington - Similar, yet more modern, college radio/alternative format of the good 'ol Surf 107 during the 90's. Any station that plays Widespread Panic, Govt. Mule and the like is fine by me.
8. 93.3 The Planet,Greenville, S.C. - Cheating a little because the station is based out of The Palmetto State, but their 90's Throwback Weekends are tough to beat. Got my fill of Pearl Jam, STP and Pumpkins on the way home today.
7. 99.7 The Fox, Charlotte - Love 'em or hate 'em, being the home of John Boy and Billy gives you automatic clout. Has always been a staple for classic rock fans in the area.
6. 98.7 Simon, Greensboro - Seems to have an emphasis on 80's hits, but I also heard some Otis Redding and Stones when riding through The Triad today. Great variety.
5. 88.1, WKNC, Raleigh - N.C. State's college radio station and a wild card among the big dogs on this list. You name the genre, and I bet The Revolution has a time slot for it. Great hip hop on Saturday nights.
4. 102 Jamz, Greensboro - Speaking of hip hop, it doesn't get any better. Similar to Power 98 in Charlotte but with better DJs in my opinion. The 20 Minute Workout
Old School Mix weekdays at noon never disappoints.
3. 107.9, Greenville, NC - Pretty much what Magic 96.1 (man, I miss it) used to be around here. Motown, Elvis, beach music ... you can't beat it, especially this time of year.
2. 95.7 The Ride, Charlotte - "The greatest music ever made" pretty much sums it up. Playlists that consistently include the likes of Neil Young, Traffic and Bill Withers sets The Ride apart from the standard classic rock format.
1. 88.7 WNCW, Spindale - There are other solid public radio stations in N.C., but the Isothermal-based 88.7 is in a league of its own. I can thank my dad for a lot of things - turning on the bluegrass (and even the Celtic music) heading to Sunday lunch is certainly one of them. Local Color, spotlighting local artists, hosted by Kim Clark Friday and Sunday evenings is the type of programming that pushes WNCW to the top of the list.

Oh and in case you were wondering, the title of the post comes from the Widespread Panic song, "Radio Child."

4 Comments:

Blogger Emily Killian said...

Nice list... I totally agree with all those mentioned (at least the ones I've heard anyway...)

June 12, 2007 at 1:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are honored at being included on your list! Thank you and keep listening!

Dana Whitehair
General Manager
WNCW-FM 88.7 Spindale

June 20, 2007 at 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are enjoying your local stations. But.. I must say switching over to satellite radio has made every trip in the car more fantastic for me. Nothing better than having it all at your fingertips. And plenty of sports & talk. :) ~C.Love

June 21, 2007 at 3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An eclectic taste in music only makes a person better. For my time there- WGWG in 'da Springs was pretty good.

Also, maybe Dana will give you some 88.7 free-bee's for the free promo. Worst she can say is No.

...back to legislation....or lack thereof

June 28, 2007 at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home